Tigers dominate

Tigers’ Melissa Poke attempts to block Julia Gale’s ball in her sides 4-2 win against Robins. Picture: Jelena Potpara.

CHHA. The first Div 2 match for the weekend saw Robins face off against old foe Tigers, with fine conditions greeting the teams for what was to be an open-flowing game with plenty of team play.

The usual tussle in the midfield started the game with both teams fighting hard to win clean possession with Tigers settling first.

Sharp, crisp passes and great structure allowed them time and space to pressure the Robins defence.

With Mel Haywood repelling anything that came near her and hitting up her hard running midfielders, the Robins forwards found it hard going, allowing Tigers to set up some early penalty corners unlucky not to score. A turnover after a rushed clearance saw Melissa Poke put the Tigers up by one shortly after.

But after the restart it was all Robins who managed to string together a number of penalty corners converting one through Leah House to tie the game up at one a piece. Play began to rebound end to end with neither team able to make the most of their opportunities but the Tigers hard press soon gave them rewards, first through Kylie Monson then minutes later Irene Grey slipped one passed the keeper to send the Tigers into halftime up 3-1.

The start of the second half saw Hannah Jackson and Karlette Perry take control for the Tigers in the middle of the ground giving their forwards plenty to work with, and after some hard running, Camilla Woolley found some time and space in the circle to net a fourth goal for the Tigers.

They continued to press hard on the Robins defence but with Kelsie Kearns holding strong and Darcey Smith providing good run, Robins began to turn the tide. After some sustained attack Robins converted another penalty corner through Leah House but it was all too late as Tigers finished as the winners, 4-2.

In the second game of the day, Irishtown and Mustangs had a hard-fought out game with Irishtown putting pressure on Mustangs’ back line.

Donna Porteus delivered the ball well to her other forwards who had numerous opportunities to score, but were held out well by the Popowski trio (Tei, Nakore and mum Ara).

Irishtown scored first with a good field goal, Mustangs replying with a penalty corner goal going in to the break 1-1.

It was a good flowing game with many fast passages of play. Irishtown scored three more times in the second half to win 4-1. The score did not depict the high standard of game from both sides.


Fatal error: Call to undefined function related_posts() in /clientdata/apache-www/c/h/chchronicle.com.au/www/Newspaper/wp-content/themes/Print-Domain/single.php on line 30