Robins revitalised 

The seventh round of Circular Head Hockey Association’s Division Two roster saw Robins gain the upper hand over Tigers with a 2-1 win. Robins’ Caicie Keogh used her fast pace and sleek skills throughout the game to catch her Tigers opponent Melissa Stokes off guard. Picture: Ashleigh Force. 

CHHA. Robins caused an upset during Saturday’s round seven proceedings by defeating the Circular Head Hockey Association’s ladder leaders Tigers.

The first Division Two game of the round began smoothly in an even competition with both Tigers and Robins receiving plenty of time in offence.

Robins’ backline of goalie Sasha Davies and fullbacks Ash-Lee Hardy and Chloe Smith withheld their opponents’ continuous attacks, as did Tigers’ defence of goalie Melissa Dodd and fullbacks Melissa Stokes and Mel Haywood.

As the ball see-sawed from either end of the field, neither side was able to capitalise until Robins received the break they were looking for through Jenny Poke.

As Poke worked the ball into attack, Fran Cooke swiftly put the ball into goal to see Robins with a 1-0 advantage leading into half time.

Tigers regrouped during the break, determined to hit the scoreboard.

Earning a penalty corner at the 27-minute mark, Tigers did just that through Melissa Poke who brought scores level at 1-1.

Play remained relatively even as time ticked by, both sides creating opportunity but unable to gain the upper hand.

With 14 minutes remaining Robins worked hard to receive a penalty corner and were rewarded when Connie Perry converted it to a goal.

Robins held onto their 2-1 lead for the remainder of the half to walk away with the points.

In the second Div Two game of the afternoon, Irishtown claimed possession of the majority of play within the first 10 minutes as fullback Bec Wells moved forward to claim a goal for the green and gold.

Mustangs rallied and moved into offence, pressuring Wells, fellow fullback Judy Johns and goalie Annabel Dixon.

Continually clearing the ball for waiting forwards, Irishtown thundered toward goal only to be shut down by Mustangs’ fullbacks Tei and Ara Popowski and goalie Leanne Innes-Smith.

Irishtown however continued to power forward and were rewarded with a goal through Paige Ferguson.

Ferguson claimed her second goal of the game with minutes remaining in the first half to take Irishtown to a 3-0 lead at half time.

A slow start to the second half saw neither side take advantage of scoring opportunities until Mustangs’ Jess Walters was able to find the backboard.

Irishtown retaliated with a third goal from Ferguson to earn herself a hat-trick.

Working a penalty corner, Irishtown’s Amanda House slotted her side’s fifth goal before Ferguson claimed yet another with six minutes remaining.

In a final effort to narrow the margin, Mustangs’ Daria Reeve earned herself a nice field goal with three minutes remaining to bring the final score to 6-2.

In the Div Three games, Tigers played a sensational game winning 8-0 over Mustangs while Robins defeated Irishtown 2-0.

Fatal error: Call to undefined function related_posts() in /clientdata/apache-www/c/h/ on line 30