Giants weather storm 

NWFL. Torrential rain, slippery playing conditions and a strong Ulverstone Football Club confronted the Greenham Tasmania Circular Head Giants at the Smithton Recreation Ground during Saturday’s round 16 encounters.

Constant downpour and a strong gust favouring one direction made it difficult for the opposing sides, however Ulverstone succeeded in collecting three wins.

Kicking into a strong breeze, the Giants’ Seniors were on the back foot early in the first quarter with Ulverstone jumping out to an 18-point lead at the first break.

Looking to move the ball toward the outside and take advantage of the wind in the second quarter, the Giants only managed two behinds but succeeded in keeping Ulverstone scoreless.

A big third quarter effort was needed from the Giants as Ulverstone held the breeze once again in their favour, but a three-goal quarter saw them stretch the margin to 39 points at the final change.

Kicking with the wind, the Giants had one final opportunity to chase down Ulverstone, but three goals were not enough as they fell short by 28 points with a final score of 4.3.27 to 7.13.55.

Despite the loss, coach Aaron Tuxworth saw some positives from his side.

“It was a really physical contest and it was great to see our players not backing out of the contest,” he said.

“Again we showed really good intensity with our defensive pressure, we just didn’t utilise the breeze in the second quarter, which meant that we weren’t close enough to maintain any scoreboard pressure in the second half.”

Oh so close were the Giants to nailing their Ulverstone counterparts in the Reserves in a tight 9.6.60 to 9.7.61 game.

After a tough first quarter which saw the Giants held scoreless to Ulverstone’s two goals, three majors from the Giants’ boots in the second as opposed to Ulverstone’s one allowed Circular Head to close the gap to 12 points at the main break.

Kicking with the breeze, Ulverstone took full advantage to bag four third-quarter goals and set up a 15-point lead at the final change.

A strong wind and determined attitude was all the Giants had in the last quarter, and it was almost enough, bringing the margin back to just one point before the final siren.

In the Under 18s match, Ulverstone won the toss and kicked with the wind to start.

The Giants were great defensively, starting the match well into the breeze and managing to kick the only goal of the first term.

The match continued with congested, slow moving footy and Ulverstone kicking their first goal of the match.

At the other end, Circular Head booted six behinds to waste their opportunities in front of goal.

The scores were level at the main break, with both sides putting on great tackling pressure.

In the third quarter Ulverstone kicked away with four goals to extend the lead to 20 points at three-quarter time.

The last quarter was very similar to the first half with not a lot of scoreboard action, and plenty of great defensive pressure from both sides.

Ulverstone kicked the only goal of the last quarter to run out 27-point winners, 1.6.12 to 5.9.39.

Circular Head will host Devonport this weekend in a fundraising match for the McGrath Foundation.

Both senior sides will pull on pink socks for the occasion, raising vital funds for McGrath Breast Care Nurses stationed in rural communities across Australia.

Socks will be available for purchase throughout the day and donations welcomed.

For more information check out the ‘Smithton Football Club’ Facebook page or go to

Fatal error: Call to undefined function related_posts() in /clientdata/apache-www/c/h/ on line 30