Parish. People from Devonport, Penguin, Burnie, Wynyard and throughout Circular Head congregated at St Oswald’s Anglican Church at Marrawah on Saturday for the church’s final service.
Close to 100 people packed the church to well over normal capacity for the special day, joining in a service of Holy Communion conducted by Reverend Noel Bowditch of Burnie.
Among those in attendance were Harry Wells, of Smithton, who was present at the laying of the foundation stone in August 1931 when he remembers all students being given a day off school for the occasion. Kath Medwin, of Stanley, who was the first baby baptised in the church was also present to share in the memories on Saturday.
Following the service, the ceremonial closing of the church was held with the last three members of the congregation locking the door, removing the key and handing it to Rev Bowditch.
The church was originally built as a memorial to those residents from the district who lost their lives in the Great War 1914-18, however dwindling numbers were cited as the reason for its closure.