Demons widen gap

Redpa made a swift comeback in the second half of the Circular Head Football Association’s fifth round against Scotchtown on Saturday, where Scotchtown’s Kyle Fraser and Redpa’s Ashley Nielsen go into contest for the ball. Pictures: Ashleigh Force.

CHFA. Redpa and Scotchtown put on a show for those in attendance as both teams produced a high quality game of football that could have gone either way, while in the fifth round’s other game, Forest Stanley were far too good in their top of the table clash against Irishtown.

At Redpa, the home side started slowly to concede four opening-quarter goals while they were unable to find the major opening themselves kicking four behinds for the term as Scotchtown took a surprising 24-point lead after the first quarter.

In the second term, the Tigers showed the first quarter wasn’t just a fluke as they kicked 3.4 to the Redlegs’ 2.5 to extend their lead by five points at half time and their maiden win of the season was well and truly a possibility as they led by 29 points.

Redpa’s inaccuracy was disallowing them a chance to take advantage of any momentum they may have had in the opening half and after the break the Redlegs kicked into gear.

A five goal to nil quarter for Redpa, against the wind, saw Scotchtown’s lead shrink to the smallest of margins at the final change, setting up what turned out to be a see-sawing finale to the match.

It again took a five goal term for the Redlegs to kick away from a much improved Tigers outfit, who kicked three goals themselves, as Redpa recorded their second win of the season in a morale boosting comeback victory, 12.13.85 to 9.13.67.

Nathan Bransden, coach of the victorious Redpa, described the game as “scrappy”, praising the work of his opponents in the first half.

“To Scotchtown’s credit they had us on the back foot early,” Bransden said.

However as the game changed so too did Bransden’s tune as he commended his team’s effort after the major break.

“After half time our boys showed a lot of character to come out hard and come away with the win,” he said.

Bransden’s counterpart, Scotchtown coach Brent Burgess, praised his young team for their first half effort.

“The first half we controlled and probably thought the game was ours,” he said

The third term was the turning point in the match according to Burgess.

“We didn’t score (a goal) and they piled on five against the wind,” Burgess said.

Both coaches singled out the game of Zach Bransden, who Burgess said was a key reason Redpa were able to get back into and eventually win the game.

Bransden praised the games of other Redlegs players which included, Joseph Armstrong, John Lee, Dan Bransden, Cam Wilson and debutant, Marshall Evans.

Burgess was pleased with the games of Kieren Baldock, Bill Jenkins, Josh Smith and David Tuxworth, who has been a mainstay in Scotchtown’s best players over the opening five rounds.

Both teams picked up recruits during the week with both Joe Brown (Scotchtown) and Josh Else (Redpa) providing strong targets up forward for their respective teams.

In the top of the table clash between Forest Stanley and Irishtown at Stanley, it was all over by quarter time as the undefeated Demons showed they are going to be extremely difficult to beat in season 2016.

For the third week in a row, Forest Stanley kept a team scoreless in at least one quarter and against the Canaries it was the first and third stanzas.

In the process of shutting out their opponents, Forest Stanley kicked 7.3 as they broke the game open from the outset.

Irishtown hit the scoreboard in the second stanza but could only manage 1.2 as the Demons extended the lead to a commanding 68 points at the long break.

The Canaries remained on 1.2.8 through the entirety of the third quarter as Forest Stanley kicked 8.3, resulting in an extremely accurate 20 goals from 27 scoring shots to the three quarter time siren.

The Demons weren’t going to take the foot off the accelerator in the last, as they kept the Canaries goalless for the third time in the match as Forest Stanley kicked a further 3.5 to Irishtown’s four behinds to record a mammoth 138-point win, 23.12.150 to 1.6.12.

Forest Stanley were best served by Jai Quilliam who was named best on ground due to the high pressure he applied to one of the competition’s best key forward’s, Scott Jackson.

Another star for the victors was Jade Best who kicked six goals to lead an even spread of goal kickers with 11 of Forest Stanley’s players kicking a goal, which coincidently was the same number as last week’s tally.

Irishtown’s best player was Daniel Littlejohn, who had the hard task of containing Scott Bryan, while Irishtown’s coach, Jason Gofton, also praised Kayne O’Halloran, Scott Jackson and Regan Townsend, all of whom played “consistent all game”.

The losing coach praised the efforts of his team despite the result after playing the second half, like Collingwood in the AFL, with no interchange.

“I was happy with those who had to step up and play a full game,” he said.

Not only were Irishtown decimated with injuries during the game, Gofton’s team lost personnel pre-match as well.

“With a few injuries and people out before the game started we knew it was going to be a big ask of us to get on top of Forest Stanley,” he said.

In the Reserves, Redpa narrowly defeated Scotchtown by 12, while Forest Stanley defeated Irishtown by 80 points.

However, in the Under 16s,  results were reversed as Scotchtown were too good for Redpa winning by 25, and Irishtown got the better of Forest Stanley, winning by 43 points to continue their dominance in the underaged competition.

Fatal error: Call to undefined function related_posts() in /clientdata/apache-www/c/h/ on line 30