commuinty photo

COMMUNITY.

Racquets at the ready

Tennis. Novice or experienced, grab a racquet and find out what all the racket is about. The Smithton Tennis Club is inviting new and existing members to the courts for a social hit and barbecue on Friday October 6 from 5.30pm before the season commences the following week. Offering A and B Grade men’s and …

1 year ago
http://www.chchronicle.com.au/advertisements/tall-timbers-web-strip/

Knowing your risk

Awareness. Rural Health Tasmania, with support from the Stroke Foundation, is offering free stroke risk assessments to the community. Launched during National Stroke Week (September 4-10), the local health service is encouraging community members to make an appointment for a simple 15 minute assessment. Rural Health registered nurse Liza Galea says answering a series of …

1 year ago

Ancestral mystery

Contact. Megan Stevens of Melbourne, Victoria has written in to the Chronicle to share a story from her family history and ask if locals have any insight into the tale. As I was growing up, my mother told me how shocked my great-great-grandmother had been when she found out, after her husband’s death, that he …

1 year ago

Obituary

Richard “Inch” Grey September 17, 1936 – June 8, 2017 Richard Grey, known to most as “Inch”, was the youngest child of seven. The Grey families were renowned for giving nicknames. Charlie the eldest son was 17 years older than Inch, followed by Laurie, Geoff “Brown”, Ross “Sprat”, Nancy “Tigs” (now Baker) and Brian “Kiza”. …

1 year ago
http://www.chchronicle.com.au/advertisements/tall-timbers-web-strip/

Travelling for research

Experience. Six countries, seven weeks and 21 flights later, Matthew Gunningham returns to Circular Head with new found knowledge and insight into the world of agriculture. The Mawbanna dairy farmer was one of 23 young primary producers and managers across the country to be presented with the Nuffield Scholarship, which sees them undertake research into …

1 year ago

Community arts hub

Collective. Starting out as a duckling of an idea, The Arty Duck has spread its wings and become quite something. A vision of passionate Circular Head creatives, the secret to the success of the Smithton craft shop is that it is entirely run by volunteers, that is the craftspeople whose wares line the shelves. One …

1 year ago

Kids’ movie night

Social. What does the big screen plus popcorn spell? Movie night! Local children are invited to free movie nights held monthly in Smithton. Organised by members of the Smithton Christian Fellowship, the movie nights are open to all members of the community with a focus on primary school aged children. Movies screened on previous nights …

1 year ago